The Giggle Queen

Random acts of the giggle queen. Intermittent blogs about my life, my thoughts, and other chaotic functions.

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Chautauqua Day

We live in a small town. It is the "The" town. You never have to clarify statement move than by saying you are going to the bar, or the store, or the bank or the four way stop. No other explanation needed. There is only one of anything. It is the type of town that when I was talking to one of my co-workers, who happens to live in Sexsmith, about where the pancake breakfast was and she said it was at the gazebo no other explanation was needed. It's on the main street. Enough said.
For months the town has been promoting their annual Chautauqua Days. Now the pronunciation varies from person to person. I've heard every thing from sha-NEE-qua to CHA-ta-qua but my favorite was watching the weather man on an Edmonton TV station come out with Shit Taco Days. I sure everyone racing to Sexsmith for that one.
We were up early, (read that as I was up early so everyone else was dragged out of bed.) to walk downtown. We live on the edge of town so we have to walk a good six block to get to the main street.
I loved the parade it was a riot. I was the old fashioned parade where you put three colours of streamers on wagon toss in a bunch of waving smiling people and call it a float. The amount of candy being thrown out was amazing. You could tell the local kids they actually had Halloween bags that bulged noticeable by parade's end. All kidding aside really did enjoy the whole event. It had such a great feeling on community to it.

What small town parade would be complete with out a John Deere Tractor?
Or a backhoe?
The local reading club.

Isn't she a cutie. She is throwing candy to the kids watching the parade.
This one killed me they cleaned up the dumpster and had kids throwing candy out but look at the top of the truck. That isn't rust. Nasty.

I loved the horses and wagons.
I was showing the pictures to the family and Andrew asked, "Where all the pictures of the muscle cars?" Umm I didn't take any. He actually looked slightly disgusted. My camera my pictures.
The whole thing ended with the local street sweeper chugging along brushes a whirling while kids scrambled to get the last of the candy before it got swept up.
It was the best parade I've seen in years it actually made me a little misty. Phil and I wandered around a bit and then went golfing. The event is geared more to the young family, The octopus ride, a Ferris wheel, skateboard park demonstrations, a dunk tank, you get the idea. When we got home at seven everything was done the rides had been dismantled, the streets swept. It really is Chautauqua Day. No evening involved at all.
We have been quite pensive lately so we have been going for lots of drives. One thing about around here is the sunsets last for ever. We left the house about 9:20 and the sky was just starting to colour up I just had to share some of the photos.
I think I'm the only person that is excited about taking pictures of weeds.
A sunset rainbow. Very subdued.
The last few photos were taken near 11:00. We are only a few week from the longest day of the year so the sunsets are very late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home